Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Almond Flour Pizza

Here it is; what you've all been waiting for: PIZZA!



I'm going to make this as easy as possible.

FOR THE CRUST:
1 cup almond flour
1 egg
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

This will make enough for one small pizza.  If you have a bigger pan, double the recipe and you'll have a large pizza.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.  Put it on wax paper with a piece of wax paper on top.  Roll it out as flat as possible.  Slowly peel off the wax paper.  Transfer to a round pizza pan.  Bake for 8 minutes.  Take it out and top it with your choice of toppings.

For the "Feed your FIT" seminar I topped the pizzas with BBQ sauce (OR pesto sauce), cooked onions, spinach, chicken and cheese, in that order.

Put it back in the oven to cook another 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

When I make pizza I will make 5 or 6 pizzas at a time, bake the crusts, add the toppings and freeze them.  Now we have our own frozen pizzas, ready to cook in 30 minutes on a busy night.  

ALMOND FLOUR NOTE: it's super expensive to buy at the grocery store.  Sometimes Trader Joe's has it at $3.99 per pound, but it's a hit or miss.  So, I make my own.  Kroger has "raw" almonds for $4.99 per pound.  I put them in my food processor and grind them until in a flour.  It wont be as fine as wheat flour.  It'll have more of a meal texture.  I will do several bags of almonds at a time and store the flour in the pantry and always have almond flour on hand.

1 comment: