Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Slow cooker Meatballs with Marinara

Tuesday morning I woke up thinking about how many things I needed to accomplish before going to work that evening to teach for 3 hours, which happens to be right before and during dinner time.  I was determined not to use my usual back up plan of Kroger rotisserie chicken with a salad.  Second option-crock-pot!  But, I dont want a roast or chili  (my typical crock pot meals of choice).

I spent a few minutes searching on allrecipes.com, and here's what I settled on: MEATBALLS!  It, of course, called for ingredients I do not eat.  So, I modified, and boy did I out do myself!


FOR THE MARINARA
Put the following ingredients in a slow cooker:
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 container mushrooms, chopped
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1/2 cup Marsala wine (optional, but the tomatoes need some sort of sweetener to balance their acidity)
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder (or 3 fresh cloves, but I was trying to keep it simple and fast!)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt

Stir until combined.  Set aside.


FOR THE MEATBALLS:
Combine the following ingredients in a kitchen aid mixer:
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground sausage (or you can do another pound of beef)
1 onion, chopped
2 cups spinach, chopped (optional)
2 eggs
2 T Italian seasoning
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder

Stir until well combined.  Roll into balls and place in the crock pot on top of the marinara.  

Cook on low all day long.  I cooked mine for a good 10 hours.



When you get home, make some spaghetti squash noodles or zucchini squash noodles.  Serve meatballs a top.  

Top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment