Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Carrot Salad, even the kids will eat!

We LOVE this salad and often have it in the refrigerator.  My kids will eat it for breakfast or lunch with some hard boiled eggs.  I use my food processor to grate the carrots, but you can do it by hand.  It'll just take you a while.

First, grate 1 LB of carrots.


Then, transfer the grated carrots to a mixing bowl.  Add the following:

1/2 to 1 cup raisins
1/2 to 1 cup coconut flakes or shreds (I use organic coconut NOT the junk found on the baking isle of a grocery store)
1/2 to 1 cup walnuts, slightly chopped
1/2 cup canned coconut milk* (found with the Asian Foods)  Shake the can before opening.
3 to 4 TBSP honey OR agave (I use raw, organic agave)

Mix all ingredients and voila!  Carrot Salad!


*Canned Coconut Milk-okay to eat?  Here's a little bit about Coconut Milk: Coconut Milk is made by squeezing the meat thru a cheesecloth.  That liquid is called "milk".  Do not confuse this liquid with the liquid found in the center of the coconut.  That's called coconut water.  I've read that coconut milk in a can is not pasteurized, but I can't find the answer from a quality source (like the producers).  Lastly, canned coconut milk also has guar gum in it.  Guar Gum is derived from the guar bean, a legume.  The bean does have to go thru quite a process to become Guar Gum.  I typically do not include processed foods like this in my diet.  But, in this case, I am.  If I think of an alternative to Canned Coconut Milk for this recipe I will certainly try it. Maybe heavy cream???...

No comments:

Post a Comment